About Us

Welcome to the St. Martin Primary School. The school’s address is 36 Independence Street. The school is divided into two sections: The Infant Section and Junior Section. There is one principal at the school and the Departmental Head assists with the running of the Infant Section. This is a Government assisted Catholic school.

MISSION STATEMENT

The St. Martin Primary School aims to provide a proper learning environment at all times in which all students can benefit from a sound Academic, Moral and Catholic Education.

HISTORY OF SCHOOL

Our 153 year old institution has been on this location since January 10th, 1949.  Before then, it was on different locations in this vicinity and was first named the ‘Convent Day School’ by the sisters of the Faithful Virgins of Norwood England in 1857.  Eighty years later, in 1939, the school was handed over to the sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, ICM, who changed the name to the Convent Primary School.

1944 –  The Infant Section was moved to the St. Gerard’s Hall.

 1952 – The building housing the Grade 6 classrooms was  built

 1962 – The School adopted St. Martin de Porres as its Patron  Saint.  The school was officially named the St. Martin  School

 1971 – Eight (8) classrooms were built to accommodate the juniors. While the infant Section moved to the old academy on Virgin   Lane,  where they are to this present day.

 1986 –  A new wing at the Infant Section was completed (3 classrooms) to accommodate the ever increasing number of students.

 1991 – The school auditorium was built

 1994 – We can boast today of not only a St. Martin Primary but also of a St. Martin Secondary School

 1997 –  Demolition of 8 classrooms on Virgin Lane due to poor construction

 2002 – The new wing was build to replace demolished classrooms.

In the past, the ICM Sisters were very instrumental and influential in their task of building and upgrading the school, to become the most reputable catholic institution for girls in Dominica.

Today the non-religious administrators who have been operating the school from 1994, are faced with the challenge of upholding that standard. The trials and difficulties of modern day society certainly don’t make it easy but with support and encouragement from Church, dedicated staff, cooperative parents and God’s help, the task becomes possible.